Manufacturing components for catalytic converters
Stricter environmental regulations and automotive industry requirements serve as the framework for producing catalytic converter components. Manufacturers have several key questions to consider:
- How can they improve the performance capabilities of catalytic converters?
- What adjustments can be made to the production process to optimise the number of process steps, the cycle time or the quality of catalytic converter components?
- What potential is there for greater profitability, for instance through material savings?
Our exhaust technology experts can help you find the right answers: to optimise your production and your manufactured components.
- Production process analysis and process consulting
- Feasibility studies
- Component tests
Catalytic converters are a key component of exhaust technology; accordingly, there are many different variants of the component. Catalytic converters and their individual components differ, for instance, in the following aspects depending on the vehicle or motor they are installed in and on their performance.
- Geometry (round, oval or free form) in custom metal thicknesses
- Quality of steel and welded seams
- Length and size of installation space
- Design (three-way catalytic converters, oxidation catalytic converters, NOx catalytic converters, etc.)
Many of our customers expect flexible machines that can be used to produce different types of catalytic converter. Our engineers meet this challenge by providing a comprehensive range of flexible standard modules and custom-tailored solutions. In accordance with your individual criteria, we provide you with the flexibility you need, for instance, to produce catalytic converter components with different dimensions.
Typically, the production of sheet metal catalytic converter components is based on combining different sheet metal finishing work steps:
- Working from the coil or prepared boards
- Round bending and longitudinal seam welding
- Expanding or seam smoothing
- Trimming tube ends
- Filling ceramic bodies using different filling processes, including the automation components
- Placing the ceramic bodies/metal inserts into the catalytic converter casing Plugging or winding process)
- Welding cover and base
Which of these processes is relevant for your production line depends on your circumstances on site and your requirements for the specific component. Our experts are happy to support you with analysis, consulting and feasibility studies to find the best solution for your catalytic converter component production.
If you have any questions on catalytic converter manufacturing or our services, we will be happy to advise you.
Manufacturers of catalytic converter components worldwide trust in our machines and equipment. Depending on quantities, shape and other factors, our engineers can recommend standard modules or custom-tailored solutions from the following product areas of our portfolio. To design the best solution for you, our engineers also use proven technologies from our partners (such as canning stations), which are integrated into a process-oriented overall concept.